Sunday, August 19, 2012

Muir Woods

Recently I spent some time in Muir Woods, a national monument of ancient coastal redwood trees near the San Francisco Bay area.  For reasons I could not understand immediately, being with the trees made me feel overwhelmingly tender and reverent.  At some point, I wound up sitting with my back against an opening in the trunk of one of these giant trees.  Pressing myself into the base of this tree, I eventually had something like a conversation with it.  Over time, I've decided that this conversation is something I want to keep sharing with others:


It's more than beloved
The heartbeat of the earth is my own

This is the planet of contrast
Where love and beauty can pierce our ideas of separateness
And return us back to belonging 

Here, we get to both love and be this planet

In fact, it's possible that there are no mistakes

There's certainly no one to blame 
For the contrast in our own experience

We may choose to teach the ego to submit to this Unity

And even in times of great pain and discomfort 
There is a space of awareness that can care about this too,

Thus returning us to the kingdom of grace
By means of our own awakened hearts.

(- from my 'conversation' with the spirit of Muir Woods).

No comments:

Post a Comment